Tuesday, June 8, 2010

PR in a title

.
If you would write a book what title will you give to your book?
What is a title?
The title of a book generally provides a brief explanation of what the book is about. And most probably the next advise is “Keep title short and concise”.
What are you looking in the title of a book? Something attractive, mysterious and that offers you an idea about the content of the book.
So let`s see it:

"Per favore dite a mia madre che faccio il pubblicitario lei pensa che sono un pierre e che quindi regalo manciate di free entry e consumazioni gratis a chi mi pare, rido coi vips, i calciatori le veline e le giornaliste, leggo Novella e mi fotografano i paparazzi, entro nei privè saltando la coda, bevo senza pagare, sono ghiotto di tartine e gin tonic, ho la casa piena di oggetti di design, conosco Paris Hilton, Tom Ford ed Emilio Fede, guido lo Z4 nero, ho tante fidanzate, parlo coi giornalisti e ho l’ombrellone fisso a Saint Trop. Per non fare torti a nessuno vesto Armani, D&G, YSL, Ferrè e Moschino, indosso scarpe inglesi, ho la carta di credito corporate che fa molto boss, l’auto aziendale coi sedili in pelle che fa molto chic. In verità invece lavoro alla luce del neon, col computer che si impalla, colleghe ’stressate’ con piglio da manager, nota spese a pie’ di lista, contratto a tre mesi senza buoni pasto…”
(this is the original – for those of you that are familiar with Italian )

The English translation below:

“Please tell my mother that I am an Advertising agent, she thinks that I work in PR, and I'm used to give free entry and free drinks to whoever I like, laughing with VIP-s, football players, hot TV chicks ( veline are stupid girls that "work" in Television and they are not able to do anything...they are just good looking), women journalists, that I read Novella (Novella is an Italian for gossip and tittle-tattle weekly magazine) and that paparazzi take photos of me, that I enter the private parties by jumping the queue, that I drink without paying, I'm greedy of sandwiches and gin tonic, my house is full of design objects, I know Paris Hilton, Tom Ford and Emilio Fede, I drive a black BMW z4, I have so many girlfriends, I speak with journalists , and I'm used to having a fix beach umbrella in Saint Tropez. Not to wrong anyone I dress Armani, D&G, YSL, Ferré and Moschino, wearing English shoes, my credit card is a corporate one which makes me (feel) very boss, leather seats in my business car which is very chic. Instead I work at the neon light, my computer is always freezing, strained coworkers with an air of managers, expense account at the foot 'list, a fixed- term contract for 3 months and no meal ticket at all!”
(translation made possible with help from Letizia L. and Gianluca F.)

Ok, so what book am I talking about? That`s the title of the book! Are you still interested in reading it?

I wouldn`t probably even write about this subject – if one of the first modern longest title wouldn`t be so “explaining” … about PR! The title has 1433 characters (290 words) and was written by Davide Ciliberti (Italy) in 2007. For this, Davide and his book entered in the Guinness Book.
The title, as well as the book intends to describe the business of public relations.
Funny, people still think this way about PR! I don`t know any other details about the book…, no matter how hard I tried in both Italian or English I couldn`t find any insights on the actual content. But, we can still judge a book by its cover! Or not…
The thing is that when you start reading such a long title – you may get bored and stop, and you miss the essential point…which is the final or the content

Davide Ciliberti title was actually surpassed by Nigel Tomm`s title with 670 words.

"Selected Works of Nigel Tomm (2006/2007) (Shakespeare’s Sonnets Remixed 2006 / Shakespeare’s Hamlet Remixed 2007 / Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet Remixed 2007 / Including Previously Unpublished Elvis Presley’s Love Me Tender Remix 2007) Nigel Tomm is The Winner of The Anonymous Writers Club Award 2006 for The Best Anonymous Writer…(etc).”

But, at least this title is just an enumeration…so, that`s probably why Guinness Book ignored it.

Isn`t this PR or what?

1 comment:

ScutuStudios.com said...

lol .. the title looks like a self-praise and I'm sick about stories like that. So .. I'm not interested to read his book.