Monday, May 17, 2010

Plot for an ordinary nightmare -part II-



She returns to her car and starts driving again – this time towards the boulevard, the highway – straight to her home. She will call her boyfriend in the morning to tell him why she didn’t go. “…If he believes me!”, she said to herself with a smile.

On the boulevard, at an intersection she approaches a car in front of her that has loud music and some wild men are partying. They yell and tell her to join them. She wasn’t even sure if they were zombies or not, but she was sure she didn’t like their company. In the mirror she sees the zombie’s car and she is very scared. This is the worst nightmare of her life.
She breathes deeply, hoping for a miracle to happen. She starts a litany in her head:

“This is a nightmare and I want to wake up!”

Then she whispers:
“This is a nightmare and I want to wake up!”

Then she says it load to herself:
“This is a nightmare and I want to wake up!”
“This is a nightmare and I want to wake up!”
“This is a nightmare and I want to wake up!”



***
She opens her eyes feeling her heavy eyelids. A blurish image starts to contour in front of her eyes: it’s white and white beds and … She feels her face hidden under the cover, her body numb, her eyes foggy and… silence. She is in a hospital. She feels a sort of comfort: “At least, I’m in a hospital. It was just a nightmare.”
But she can not wake up. Something is keeping her frozen in the bed. She is sedated. In a way she feels something is wrong – but she doesn’t know why. Her eyelids are heavy, very heavy; she feels she is falling again to sleep and all her strength is focusing on:

“I want to be awake!”
“I am awake!”
“I am awake!”
“I am awake!”


***
The room seems worm and cosy. A bed is the only big object in the room. Through the curtains the street lights reach the floor leaving shadows in corners. A forced breathing as out of a running is pressing the air. She shivers and jumps up from her sleep with a cold sweet on her forehead. Near her, her boyfriend wakes at her sobbing. She is shaking.
He hugs her: “Is just a nightmare, darling.”
“I’m cold,” she says and she lets herself down under the cover and in his arms. But, he feels her body as ice; her skin has become tough and has change color to a bluish violet.

No comments: